Saturday, May 4, 2019

So...My Son Bought A Swedish Car


A few years ago my neighbor bought a car. As far as I know it may be the first Swedish-built car to ever have an owner live on our little cul-de-sac. I've not lived on this street for about a half-dozen years, but I stayed in touch. We've had Fords, Chevys, VWs, BMWs, Chryslers, Toyotas, Subarus, Nissans (then Datsun...), Dodges, Plymouths, and even Buicks. Pretty sure this was the first Volvo.

When I think of Swedish cars, I think of a couple of things. I lived for two years in Denmark and there were literally boat-loads of Saabs and Volvos. I also think of a wonderful book and movie, A Man Called Ove. The man in the film loved Saabs, his neighbor Volvos. Unfortunately, Saabs didn't make it. I won't spoil the book and/or film disclosing anything else.

My sister owned a Volvo once. She's driven a lot of cars over the years. She drove Mercedes Benzs, and high-end Suburbans among others. She loved her Volvo...missed it after it was gone. The neighbor's Volvo was replaced by a new daily driver last year, but the owner still drove the Volvo because he liked driving it so much. 

For the past couple of weeks, my son's been considering getting a car of his own. He had his eye on a Toyota Corolla. That's when I remembered the neighbor had considered selling his blue-gray Volvo, but kept it around. Right after I told my son, he went right over to their house and came back the proud owner of a clean (in my opinion, beautiful...) Swedish automobile.


I guess he's the second Volvo owner on our street since it was first established in 1969.

I've driven Toyotas for the past decade or so. We've loved them. We have history with the brand. And resale values confirm our opinions. I posted a picture of the iconic VOLVO within a circle and an arrow on social media after my son bought his car. I had one comment say they had owned a couple of Volvos and they loved them. Of course, others said "they're boxy, but they're good," something I've always considered when thinking about Volvos.

I guess time will tell how the car treats him, and how treats the car. I'm glad he picked it up. It's a cool car.

No comments:

Post a Comment