Saturday, May 18, 2019

Things I Didn't Know Yesterday...The Tomato Hornworm Caterpillar


I've seen these moths around, of course. I always thought they looked cool. When I first see them I think they're hummingbirds, but I can always tell they're not--they're not as smart as hummingbirds. Hummingbirds would never let me get as close to them as I got when I snapped a couple of pictures and even shot a short video.

I thought one of the photos might work well as my Pic Of The Day for Thursday. I used one and it was a good choice for my daily picture.

I'm glad I have friends who are so much smarter than me.

After posting the picture, I had some comments on it. Seems a lot of people didn't have as big a problem with the moth, but with the moth before it becomes a moth. Turns out a lot of people don't like tomato hornworm caterpillars. 

Our history of planting, cultivating, and harvesting tomatoes on our property is a tale of woe. We had a few successful seasons, but then...nothing. We stopped trying to grow tomatoes all together. I guess if I saw one of those big green hornworms crawling around, I wouldn't have thought twice. According to a quick internet search, the caterpillars can also wipe out: 

eggplants, bell peppers, and potatoes.

Fortunately for us, we don't try growing any of those vegetables, either.

So, I'll leave the house tomorrow wiser, more knowledgeable when it comes to the tomato hornworm caterpillar and the moth that reminds me of hummingbirds. I'm glad I have intelligent friends, because of all the things I don't know...

But may know tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment