Friday, May 17, 2019

Hanging Out At My Friday Gig...


On most Fridays, I commute (my longest commute of the week...) to a small office in the Salt Lake Valley. It's a small-ish unobtrusive office. Unless you know where it is, you'd most likely drive right by it. But in that little office, magic is made.

In 2013 a group of people got together and put together a convention, the first of its kind in the state. I doubt even they knew how successful that first show would be or that it would still be going strong six years later. I'm one of the lucky ones. I've been fortunate enough to be involved in each show, each convention. This last one, however, the one in April, I helped out in a different way. 

I had responsibilities.

Like most people, I have a day job. It's a good job that provides food, shelter, transportation, and cable/internet for the family. But my job doesn't require a lot of creativity. In fact, working with the government, they frown on being "creative" in my daily duties. I'm to do my job by the book, according to policy, or else I'm doing it wrong.

That's why I enjoy helping out at FanX so much. I work with people who entertain for a living, writers, artists, performers, musicians, be it part-time or full-time--there's something in their life that makes them create. It's a sometimes difficult world to live in, but it's also an amazing one.

The work I do during the week is important. I provide vital necessities for some of the most needing people in our society. But I also help provide something important to a lot of other people, the ability to enjoy themselves, to lose themselves in a world of fantasy and make believe. The gig I have on Fridays is about as far from the one I have the rest of the week. It's satisfying, just in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment