Sunday, April 19, 2020

A Physical Manifestation...Of Goodness


We saw the display Friday as we ran errands. I have no idea when it was set up or by whom, but whomever is responsible for setting it up probably doesn't want anyone to know it was them.

I've seen pictures of similar displays on social media. There could be hundreds, if not thousands of these things across our country and the world. Just the sight of it tells me that there is still good out there, especially now when things can look bleak.


I've lived in my hometown most of my life. We could have ended up anywhere, but we chose to remain in Farmington. Even though many of the people I knew as a kid growing up in our community have moved or are gone, there's a spirit that still resides in the sycamore-lined streets.


When we spotted the Free Community Pantry, we stopped so I could snap some pictures. There was food, sanitizer, Pedailyte, and toilet paper--even a bag of mini candy bars. The contents of the whole thing maybe cost $100, but the signal it sends to those who see it is worth so much more, at least it did for me. When I spotted the pantry I saw people wanting to help others, neighbors willing to give of what they have so those without can be given a break, a sliver of hope.

In many ways, I'd love that the items in the pantry to remain and not be used. It would let us all know that those in our community have what we need, or at least feel others may need the help more. Since I don't leave the house on a daily basis (who does...?) I won't be able to see if the items are being taken and hopefully, replaced. But, the fact that the pantry exists is a good indication people will continue to help out. Yes, with all the negativity out there, it's good to see a physical manifestation of goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment