Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Birthdays...In The Days Of Covid-19


This picture was taken two years ago today, the day my oldest turned twenty-three years old. We were visiting his grandparent's home and it was his birthday.

Today, he turned twenty-five.

And the whole world has changed.

Our family usually has parties for my kids's big birthdays. I'd say a quarter of a century is a big birthday. Having a party never entered into any of our minds. We did have a family gathering tonight, us and my son's girlfriend. I wonder if he had a later birthday, she may not have been able to attend.

My friend's father-in-law passed away from Covid-19--he was the third to die in our state from the pandemic. A extremely successful man by any measure, he leaves behind a very large family and many many more friends and associates. Will they even have a funeral?

The whole world has changed.

Because we're connected by social media, we can participate in events, but from a distance. A few weeks ago, I did not attend a funeral for a dear friend. The recommendation of having no more than ten people gather at any time had been issued. I'm sure I could have sat alone, in the back, away from others, but I chose not to go. I did miss out, never having to experience the painful  comfort a funeral affords.

The world has changed.

Looking back, I can't exactly remember my twenty-fifth birthday. I can read about it in my journal. I know it's nothing like my son experienced. On my birthday almost thirty years ago, I could have gone to a movie, or a concert, or a college game, or a birthday party. Not my son, not this. year.

Birthdays, parties, funerals, meetings, for some, they'll all be different this year. I pray my son will be one of the few who has such a birthday and that this tragedy will soon end soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment