Saturday, April 18, 2020

"Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker"...A Fitting End


There's been nine films comprising the main Star Wars franchise, not including Rogue One and Solo. I'm pretty sure I watched every one of those nine films in the theater...

Except the last one.

For Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker, we waited until it came on sale and we watched it at home. Now I wish I had seen it in the theater. I loved it.

I'm one of the people who saw the first film in the theater...several times. I saw Star Wars Episode IV, The Last Hope when I was in grade school so, of course, I was instantly hooked. Star Wars became part of my pre-teen DNA. That DNA has grown and evolved, but it's always been there.

The original three films came and went. Decades passed then came the prequels. Some loved them--some, not so much. I loved the fact that the original three films were no longer all there was. We had more and I enjoyed much of what was included in the prequel phase of Star Wars.

I think I was more excited when the last three films were announced. Disney had just bought the rights and there was so much anticipation for what was to come. Again, many thought , The Force Awakens was a re-telling of the original, Episode IV. And it was, but with the advantage of special effects worthy of the stories, I didn't care. 

Episode VIII, The Last Jedi came next.

And everything hit the fan.

I'll admit, this wasn't my favorite, but once again, I didn't care. There were some scenes that were visually beautiful, and because we all knew it wasn't the final film, I cut them some slack.

I finally saw Star Wars, Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker. I watched it. I liked it. I waited a couple of days and watched it again. I realized as the story unfolded it was more than liking some aspects or some scenes. I thought it was a good way to end a love affair that began in 1977. It felt more like the originals, or at least, gave me some of the same feelings.

I know I'm late to the party--I usually am when it comes to movies. It would have been fun to see the show in the theater. Maybe one day, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment