Sunday, April 26, 2020

It's Not All Bad...I Mean, We Did Get A New Road


We had one day's warning, a slip of paper stuck in our door letting us know that between 7am and 7pm the next day, work would be done on our street.

What did that mean?

We had no idea.


At 7:30am, we found out. They were going to pave our entire dead-end cul-de-sac street. We had no idea--the road wasn't in that bad of shape. There's something about watching large machines at work--they're fascinating. I spent much of the morning just watching what they did. And thanks to the time-lapse video feature on my aging, yet still reliable iPhone, I caught a couple of videos that are mesmerizing as well.


I guess someone, somewhere decided our street was due for a facelift. It's probably been approved and budgeted for years. It was weird seeing a crew (even a small crew...) out and about while it's been pushed into our brains to stay home, don't socialize. The crew that did the job was extremely professional and, for the most part, stayed apart from each other.


I know, because I watched them all morning.

I've lived on the same street for over four decades. When we first moved back in 1970, the road wasn't even paved--it was still dirt. I can't remember the last time they paved the entire street. They did pave the end of the road back when we built our house, but I don't think they did the whole thing.

Yes, even in the middle of a world-wide pandemic, some small things--like a new road--can happen. It's true--I saw it with my own eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment