Saturday, April 4, 2020

Abigail Haunting...A Showcase For Chelsea

Abigail Haunting (2020)

One thing about participating in the arts, you meet so many amazing people. If you get in a community theater production, you meet dozens of people who then appear in other shows that you'd like to see. If you hang out with authors, every time you turn around another writer publishes a book you're dying to read.

And if you dabble in film, you meet actors who go on to do incredible things.

Last week on Amazon Prime I watched an indie film titled, Abigail Haunting starring Chelsea Jurkiewicz.

I'm not a big horror film fan. I definitely understand the lure. For some, a good horror flick can be a cathartic experience. And some people just love to be scared. Abigail Haunting is a story about Katie, a girl returning to a home where she grew up, only things have changed, and not for the better. Little by little, we learn about these changes and know that Katie's life is in danger.

Because it's an indie film, I understand they don't have the budget to have all the bells and whistles we see in other films. I thought the cinematography was good. It's set in Arizona and the desert scenes highlight the isolation of the main character, and give a sense of loneliness.

Then there's Chelsea's performance. 

An indie film usually means a smaller cast. Abigail Haunting fits the bill. Because it's a smaller cast, Chelsea is in almost every scene. The movie is her character's story, her struggle, her fears realized, her horrors played out. With so much face time, you've got to be really good to carry a film, and Chelsea pulls it off wonderfully, quite a feat for any actor, but especially impressive for one Chelsea's age. 

Then again, this is just one of many IMBd credits.

I know I'm biased. I would not have watched the movie if she had not been in it (back in 2018 she and I were in a very short film--it's where we met...). And I watched her knowing I have this bias. Still, I cheered Katie on, hoping she would vanquish the evil and come out victorious.

Abigail Haunting is a well-made horror film that makes the most of what they have. And they have Chelsea Jurkiewicz as a lead actor, which is a very good thing.

Chelsea Jurkiewicz Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment