Tuesday, April 28, 2020

I Will No Longer Live In Fear...For That's Hardly Living


In Michael Crichton's novel, State of Fear, the author imagines a world where, after the end of the Cold War, leaders needed something to replace the terror the world felt for decades, a fear that at any moment nuclear war could destroy us all. Crichton chose environmentalism as a way to scare people to death. The book failed to receive the critical praise enjoyed by his other works, mostly because he portrayed some environmentalists as having motives other than just saving the planet.

Can't do that, not in our modern politically correct world.

Another author, Victor Frankel, in his book, Man's Search for Meaning, details the almost unimaginable horror humans can inflict on each other. Frankel survived WWII by realizing--and putting into place--the notion that no matter what others do to you, no matter how terrible life is, the individual is in control of their reactions to what life gives them. 

Both literary examples show how fear is used to control others, fear of death, fear of pain, fear of illness, fear of others. A scared person is a person controlled. Today, I came to the realization that I'm sick of being afraid, or being told I should be afraid. I'm done with being manipulated to believe other's conclusions, to believe the facts others have chosen--facts filtered through their ideologies (while ignoring facts that disagree with those ideologies...)--all in an attempt to make me do/think/believe as they want me to do/think/believe.

If a man can see evil almost eliminate an entire race from the face of the earth--including his wife and family--and he triumphs, then I can face the uncertain world that exists today. After all, I'm not guaranteed a pain-free life, a life without death or trials. Just the opposite, in fact. To quote an incredibly impactful movie, "Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

They're selling fear and I'm no longer a customer.

My proclamation changes next to nothing--the virus still exists. People will continue to get sick and die, maybe even me. Then again, a man in his mid-50s with no knowledge of family health problems, could go at any time...virus, or not. The simple act of living by default increases the likelihood of death. 

As with anything, this is my goal. There are things that scare me and will continue to scare me. But, I'm going to try and look at things differently, do better, be less afraid. Because living in fear...well, that's hardly living at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment