Saturday, March 4, 2023

A New Calling...I'm A Little Nervous


It's strange, in a way, that for the first time in my life I'm going to be responsible for how a group of singers sounds. Yes, the owl bag full of musical folders means I'm a newly called LDS ward choir director...

And I'm a little nervous.

The strange part is I've been involved in choirs for more than four decades. I started singing in high school, just one year, but I had a blast. After my LDS mission, I joined a couple of choirs, first the Mormon Youth Symphony Chorus and the University of Utah A'cappella Choir.

Those were amazing choirs...the latter better than the former, but both were wonderful.

After graduating, I sang a couple of years in the Utah Symphony Choir...kind of amazing backing up the Utah Symphony. Then, in my home ward, we were blessed with an abundance of musical talent. Not to brag (too much...), but our Christmas programs were legendary. 

Now, it's my turn.

I've never led a choir, or at least, never led one more than once. Will I be able to hear the issues? Will I be able to help the choir members adjust and hit the right notes, use the correct intonation, start and stop correctly?

Only time will tell.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment