Sunday, March 19, 2023

Give Thanks...For Music


 I don't know why, but I was nervous this past week. I really shouldn't have been, but, well...there it is. New challenges, new opportunities.

New experiences.

 A few weeks ago I was asked to be the choir director in our local church congregation. I've been singing in choirs off and on, large and small since the early 1980s. That's a lot of following a baton. I've sung in ward choirs and symphony choirs and even in St. Peter's Basilica. 

Now, I'm on the other side of the music stand.

Today, our little choir, probably fifteen voices, sang in our worship service. It's a good song my predecessor picked out. We even had violin accompaniment...it sounded great. It was my first time.

It's interesting to be on the other side, hearing the sounds how they blend, seeing the expressions of many faces instead of just the one. I have a long way to go before I believe I'll feel comfortable or proficient, but it was fun. It was fun standing there, waving the baton, bringing in sections (I do need to work on that...), cutting them off, letting the music dictate the action.

I'm grateful for music, for the chance to experience something new. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment