Tuesday, March 7, 2023

To This Boy And His Dog...This Field Of Snow Is Everything


 This afternoon, as I trekked outside to fetch the mail, I spotted a neighbor boy and his dog playing on one of the many snow mounds dotting the neighborhood. A thought came to my mind...

The kid's got it all.

Maybe it's because where we lived before, we didn't have a lot of younger kids running around. I wasn't used to seeing kids playing outside. Here, we're surrounded by young families and there's kids all over the place, even in winter. I love seeing it--instead of kids constantly inside in front of a screen, many go outside, play in the snow, play with their pets. It's so refreshing.

Growing up I had a small dog that accompanied me on mountain hikes. Of course, I didn't have the modern distractions kids nowadays have. There were no video games and movies-on-demand back in the 70s. I wonder if I did, would I have gone outside as much?

I had a mountain. Here, they have a hill and fields.

Either way, it's their world.

The plan is to turn the field into homes. Where the snow mound sits, the road dead ends. Soon--maybe even this summer--machinery will pull up and put in a road that will lead to many more homes which will bring many more kids. I hope I see those kids venturing out (even in winter...) with their dogs and find adventures in their wonderful new worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment