Sunday, March 12, 2023

Give Thanks...For A Proposal


 They've known each other for years. Last week, they became more than just boyfriend/girlfriend and soon, they'll be something more. Our only daughter is engaged. Family and friends turned a yoga/arial/acrobatics studio into a place where magic happens.

Funny how a simple question with an even more simple answer changes everything.

My daughter is smart which made hiding the big event even tougher. The day of, my wife and I had a difficult time not giving even the smallest hint away. Thankfully, that didn't happen, or if it did, our daughter lied to us.

We have four children, but only one daughter. Things are different with daughters...there's no other way to say it. Our oldest got married two and a half years ago. There are obvious differences between sons and daughters and weddings. We were so less involved in that event, and not because we were "left out." It's just not the same with sons. With the daughter, my wife and her have spent--what seems--like every waking hour (and sometimes, sleeping hour...) thinking about, worrying over, and planning the upcoming wedding.

Growing up, I always thought I'd have a family and they'd grow up and get married themselves, but I didn't think much beyond that. I figured I'd worry about those things when they came. Now, they're coming and I guess it's time to worry.

Worry is not the best word...more like handle. When the time comes, I'll handle it. 

Funny how life works, sometimes. In a few months (exact time and date are forthcoming...), we'll gather in a beautiful location and the two will become one. Families will celebrate and guaranteed, there will be dancing. I'm grateful for this opportunity. I'm grateful to be connected though marriage with an incredible family. I'm grateful to be the father of the bride. It is truly an honor.

Funny how a simple question with an even more simple answer changes everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment