Thursday, March 30, 2023

The Return Of Family Game Night...Hopefully


 Last weekend my daughter and her fiancee were home so we decided to go downstairs and resurrect something we used to do quite frequently...

Family Game Night.

Sometime last year, it was an almost weekly thing. On Sunday nights we'd gather downstairs in the party basement and play games. These weren't complicated games, for the most part. We'd usually settle on poker or gin rummy or another card game. We even bought poker chips and a battery-powered card shuffler to make card distribution more fair.

We started with Poker. My best hand came when I asked for five cards because the five I was dealt were not good. I was handed three queens in exchange. I really couldn't bet big because everyone knew I was dealt something good or I wouldn't be playing...couldn't bluff my way out of that one. After a few rounds, we switched to Skull King.

We were not a "gaming family" before we had a place to play and maybe that's why we haven't ket up the tradition. Things this winter have been crazy and with an upcoming wedding, it's gotten even more so. Still, there's nothing like hanging out with the family, not expecting to win many hands but sometimes you do, and just enjoying each other's company.

I'd like to say we'll continue the tradition. The past couple of months we've been so tired on Sunday nights, mostly because we've had to shovel snow most Sunday mornings. Plus, planning a wedding can be exhausting.

I guess with anything, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment