Friday, March 31, 2023

Still Don't Know What Happened...


 It happened over a week ago and we still have no idea what happened. After one of the many storms that hit us this winter and the many storms we've had since moving here over two years ago, our mailbox no longer stood tall and proud at the corner of our lot. No, it lay defeated on the newly-fallen snow.

Bummer.

After I saw the damage, I tried figuring out the cause. We did have wind that night, but we've had winds much stronger than anything that hit during that storm. I thought maybe someone hit it with their car. It's still possible, but there were no tracks in the snow nor was there any marks on the curb that would have most definitely been there had a car/truck drove over it. I suppose someone could have pushed it over, but that doesn't make any sense. Then again, when does vandalism make sense?

At the point where it broke, the post did have a connection that could have weakened over time. As far as fixing it, I thought, "No problem." My wife suggested we get some PVC pipe between the two halves and it could just rest on it. I found a piece of pipe long enough to do the trick and I headed to the scene of the carnage. 

Problem...for some reason, the upper part of the post had a plastic tube inside that only gave me a few inches for the PVC pipe to help stabilize the mailbox. Solution - get some Gorilla tape and wrap it a few times around the broken post. No, it does not look good. No, it's not the most steady mailbox on the street. Yes, another big wind could bring it down again.

Hopefully, in the future will replace the old with the new. Until then, we'll hope it makes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment