Monday, April 18, 2011

In Memoriam...


It rained all day--appropriate weather for a memorial service.


On Wednesday, April 13 2011 a friend passed away. I've known Mrs. Marks almost as long as I've known my wife. On paper, the connection between her and myself is not close, but in reality, our families were close.


Jeanie (I knew her always as 'Jean') was born 13 months after my dad. I met her and her husband after all her children were married and beginning families of their own. She was always a grandmother.


Today I saw some of her children, many of her grandchildren, and a couple of great-grandchildren honor the family's matriarch with grace and class, just like the honored woman herself.


We all approach the subject of death differently. One's religious or philosophical views weighs heavily in our attitudes toward something we all experience.


My family helped with a luncheon. It wasn't much but it felt good to help. The family faces new challenges and decisions, the consequences of just such an event.

It rained all day--appropriate weather for memories.

1 comment:

  1. I always feel it appropriate to have rain on funeral days.
    Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete