Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Appendix Podcast & Dystopia...Yeah, That's It!


Dystopia, now I understand...

I subscribed to, and have enjoyed very much, a podcast called The Appendix. No, it's not about human body parts with seemingly little or no useful purpose (although, that would make for an interesting podcast, but only one episode...maybe two).

The Appendix offers advice for writers (no matter what stage of the writing process they may be at) and this podcast has taught me many things. Perhaps the most important thing I've learned is that the actual writing of a novel or a piece of work you want published (what I used to think was the toughest part of creating a published work) is actually the easiest part of the process. After I finish an Appendix podcast I'm both enthused about writing more and depressed at the task(s) that lie ahead.

This week's podcast dealt with a couple of subjects, but the one that especially caught my attention had to do with dystopia. Dystopia, according to Webster's is:

dystopia - a work of fiction describing an imaginary place where life is extremely bad because of deprivation or oppression or terror

I've been a little confused about why style of writing I've utilized or been drawn to (I'm a relative newcomer to the whole writing thing...). The trio at the Appendix (you can access the Appendix website: Here) described what dystopia is and this definition answered my question. Thanks guys (and gal...).

In another week there will be another podcast and I will, once again, feel excited to create incredible worlds where fascinating people live lives bound only by the limits of my imagination AND feel like I've got a lot of work to turn these inspirational thoughts into a published work I can actually hold in my hand. Better get writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment