Thursday, June 30, 2011

Farmington's Rose Garden


Back in the day, all my friends and I attended Farmington Elementary School The first school I attended was close to my house. They tore it down because it was old.


I was only seven years old, but I was sad to see the old school go. They allowed the "new" section of the school to remain (it was considered new because it was built in the 1920's, a newer date than the main building). This is what that amazing building looked like (the new section is left of the taller structure).


The other day I was driving around the neighborhood and I saw what's left of the new section. I guess nothing lasts forever (which, by the way, is the name of a Sydney Sheldon novel and mini-series in which I was a uncredited extra...).


The new school was placed next to a park and in that park was a rose garden. I must have walked through that garden hundreds, if not thousands of times. In the center of the garden there was a flagpole and under the flagpole stood a stone marker and on that marker was placed a metal plaque. Maybe, during one of those trips through the garden, I read that plaque. I don't really remember; I was younger then...


I should take more time reading things like this plaque. It's history. The plaque does not stand where it once stood--where it once stood sits a community multi-function building. It's nice, but it's no rose garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment