Thursday, November 3, 2011

Playing In The Leaves...


Playing In The Leaves...

It's no secret that autumn is my favorite time of the year. As I drove home today I saw these leaves on my neighbor's lawn. I decided to pull over and take a few pictures from my car. I felt I needed to take a couple of pictures quickly is because my neighbor is good at cleaning the leaves off his lawn.

I remember this lawn and I remember the leaves that cover it every fall. About a half a block from this spot stands portions of the first public school I ever attended. I remember walking home from that school those many years ago and I played in the leaves. I must have been between 5-7 years old.


Many decades ago we would stop on that lawn and gather as many leaves as we could, scooping them up in our arms and forming up piles. I'm sure they couldn't have been big piles, but at the time, they seemed huge. I don't know why, but I remember a time when Lynette Wooley and I stopped after school and formed up piles of leaves on my neighbor's lawn, ran and jumped in them, and had a great time.

The trees are still there. Over the years the power company has trimmed them down a bit. I wonder if any kids stop on their way home from school and enjoy one of the singular pleasures of being a child, a child lucky enough to grow up in an area with seasons, one of which is the best season of all...

No comments:

Post a Comment