Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving, 2011 Edition...


 Thanksgiving, 2011

There are so many things to say about Thanksgiving, the words many times lose their meanings because we not only hear them so much, but because we say them so much as well. As I went about my day today, I snapped a few pictures. This year we had just our family (me, wife, kids, dog, cat, various ladybugs that have survived the winter by finding their way inside our house...). Of course, the day included more photo-worthy events, but these are the ones I got.

 

I had a few errands to run this morning and I noticed as I topped the hill on main street that I was the only car on the road. As you can see in this rear view shot--no one ahead of me and no one behind... (I was actually stopped as I snapped the pictures, for safety reasons and--as you can see--no one else was on the road).


If you look carefully, you'll see a lone hiker at Flag Rock (he/she is the little dot below and to the right of the flag pole). It was a beautiful day for a hike.


My wife has been cooking for three days. My daughter set the table about four hours before we had dinner. I believe she was extremely excited.


To add a sense of form and function to our holiday, my mother-in-law made us Thanksgiving turkeys made out of gloves. She bought gloves for each of us, sewed on the beaks and eyes and tied a ribbon around the fingers. And when the holiday is over, they can be used as winter gloves--quite the clever idea.


Here's Tom...he was delicious.


Here's the fixin's...they were delicious, too!


As I washed the ice cream maker, I looked out the kitchen window and saw the beginnings of another beautiful sunset. I grabbed my point-n-shoot Kodak and headed outside. As the sun set, the colors came more vibrant and I kept snapping away. One of the reasons I love where I live and love to live on the same spot on the mountain where I grew up are the incredible sunsets that we get. I mean, you've got a mountain, a lake and generally the right amount of pollution to create sometimes breathtakingly beautiful works of art. Tonight's proved a very appropriate way to end a day of thanks.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment