Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Old Mac...


I'm a Mac man. I admit it. And if you've followed this blog for any length of time, you know this. I've written about the day I got my new (and current...) Apple laptop. I wrote about my son's clamshell Mac, but today...I saw this.

It's hard now to believe but when I was in high school I took a typing class, and on each desk in the class were typewriters. That's right...typewriters. Sure the school had computers, but only a few and only a few of the kids--the brightest kids in the school--knew how to operate computers. Looking back, I should have been one of those kids.

But I digress... 

Today, while visiting a recording studio, there it was...the Macintosh Plus. It looked just like the one I had. Mine even had the same optional cooling fan that fit so perfectly on top. I learned about computers on a Mac. While in college I worked as a recording sound technician, and we used Macs. If fact, the computer program we were building was a language program to help foreign business men and women better speak English. The program? MacEnglish (I may still have a MacEnglish coffee mug buried somewhere in the basement...). I worked on HyperCard and SoundEdit. Anyone remember those? They were great programs, especially SoundEdit. In fact, I could do wonders with that program even today.

But, the computer program didn't sell and the company folded and I took my little, ancient Mac Plus home with me. I kept it for a few years, but it went the way of many things that leave my house--to the local thrift store. Seeing that off-white box with the tiny screen and the funny horizontal slot today brought it all back to me.  It's such a beautiful little box. Good times...

No comments:

Post a Comment