Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sledding At Sunset...A Short Story


Sledding At Sunset

They sat on the snow as the sun dropped below the inland sea, the couple wanting to be alone after a day full of food and family. When Steve suggested they go sledding after gorging themselves on Christmas dinner, Stephanie, Steve's girlfriend of eight months, thought he couldn't be serious. It's just another silly remark from the man she had fallen in love with. After all, he did crazy things all the time.

"So, what did you think of the family, Steve asked only slightly nervous of her response after the pair had slid a few times down the mountain.

"I can see where you get your warped sense of humor," Stephanie said as she tossed a handful of snow in Steve's face.

"Yeah," Steve said returning the favor with a handful of snow of his own. "My folks are kind of crazy."

"I'm sure they passed that genetic code down to you."

"Oh really? Then why are we the only one's sledding?" Steve smiled in the fading light of day. "I mean, you don't see any of my siblings here with their spouses, do you?"

"No--they're obviously smart enough to stay inside by the fire where it's warm."

Steve drew closer. "You cold?" he asked with a gleam in his eye. Stephanie smiled...she'd seen that gleam before.

"I'm warm enough," she lied. 

Steve smiled back, then he looked west into the magenta sky. "You think I'm crazy, huh?"

"I do."

"I'm pretty sure you're right," Steve said as he turned to face Stephanie who sat on the frozen sled hill. It was then she saw Steve unzip the front of his winter coat, and draw out a small box from a vest pocket. "I'm pretty sure you're right," Steve repeated as he took a step forward and knelt before the woman he loved more than anything in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment