Friday, February 1, 2013

So, How Much Is A 1921 Silver Dollar Worth?


I came across an old silver dollar today that, I can only imagine, once belonged to my dad. My dad was many things, a numismatist, was one of them. As a child I remember finding coins and books of coins in the nooks and crannies of the house my father never finished building. This was 30-40 years ago. I'm sure many of those coins were rare and collectable back then. I can't imagine what they would be worth today.

The coins, like my father, are gone and only memories remain. I suspect being a successful numismatist takes a lot of patience. Back when my father was collecting Amazon or EBay did not exist. Collecting required using your time hunting down the coins, going to coin collecting conventions, or getting lucky and finding that rare coin at either a antique shop or a yard sale.

One coin, a singular item...there's probably a couple of other old coins once collected by my father around here somewhere. My children will most likely never call me a coin collector. I collect words, words I've written with pan and paper and sit idle on my bookshelves. I've written a daily journal since January 25, 1985. I sometimes wonder what will happen to those words... Of course, for anyone who keeps a journal consistently, you don't really collect the words for a financial gain, but to keep going...

And according to Coinstudy.com, my dad's coin is only worth about $31.73. The memories of my childhood and father are worth much, much more.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't really know my dad, but I hope my boys grow up remembering theirs like you do yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collecting coins can be interesting, but memories are priceless

    ReplyDelete