Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hello, Goodbye...


Yesterday a new business opened downtown, a business catering to the sweet tooth in all of us. This morning we visited the establishment and everyone scared away from the crowds of yesterday showed up today (who themselves formed a large crowd...).


Working right next to a business building a shrine to coffee and doughnuts tests the patience of those in the area, including my co-workers. Finally, the chance to participate in the new experience has come and we indulged. 


As we said hello to one friend, we said goodbye to another. An early mentor in my career with my current employer decided to retire and I felt I had to attend his retirement party. The festivities went from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. I arrived after 3 p.m. and expected the room to be nearly empty. Nope--I was wrong. It was packed. Randy is a very popular person, one of the best bosses I've ever had. It's appropriate that so many people came to celebrate the good times and commiserate the fact he will no longer be part of our work family.


I saw old friends and witnessed a literal changing of the guard. The department is being run by younger and younger professionals. Randy represents the way it used to be. Thanks Randy for all your help over the years. May your retirement years be your best ever. Carry on, Mr. Randy!

No comments:

Post a Comment