Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Tobolowsky Files...Great Stories


A few years ago, I discovered podcasts. I know I was late to the party, but somehow I stumbled on the podcast from Stephen Tobolowsky, a man who defines character actor. I remember enjoying his podcasts very much, and then, they just stopped coming.

The thing about a podcast, if it goes away, even for a short time, it gets replaced--no offense to Mr. Tobolowsky, but it's just the way of things. I don't know exactly why I didn't unsubscribe his podcast after they stopped back in 2015, but I didn't. Maybe I figured one day Stephen's amusing anecdotes would continue.

And they did.

A few weeks back, I noticed a new podcast under his name. At first, I thought it might be a mistake, but no, he returned with a full-length podcast, complete with stories and all. Then there was another podcast the week later, and another a week later. It seems he has returned for good.

Perhaps Mr. Tobolowsky's musings are not your cup of tea. I can understand that, but I do enjoy his stories, his tales of growing up in Texas, his discovery and love of performing, and an occasional story about Hollywood. I don't know if Stephen Tobolowsky and Neil Gaiman have ever been mentioned in the same sentence before, but to me, I enjoy hearing both of them tell stories, Neil's mostly fictional, and Stephen's mostly historical. I can tell both men love the art of communication.

If you like podcasts without all the bells and whistles, give Stephen's podcast a chance. It's simple storytelling at its best. You can access his information from his website: HERE. He's funny, intelligent, and be honest, you know if you had the chance to talk to Ned Ryerson, you'd jump at the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment