Friday, February 16, 2018

Be Your Better Self...


I'm on Twitter. Apparently so are a few billion other people. Usually it's mindless stuff, really. And there is a lot of stuff on Twitter that's less than mindless. But if I can stay above the mire, it's interesting to see things people post. The day before Valentine's Day, I logged on to Twitter and the first thing I saw were two posts, one from my friend Dave, and another from a University of Utah football fan who goes by "Whitt's Calves."

I found the two posts together interesting.

Dave Butler, author, musician, all-around good guy, isn't the most active Twitter-er, but I've noticed lately he's posting positive things, perhaps as a response to several negative things in the news lately. His post, "Be your better self," is great advice, be it in your writing, or music, or making friends, or making dinner. If we all were our better selves, the world would be a much better place.

Then we see a picture of two football players, one from the University of Utah, the other from Brigham Young University. On the day before Valentine's Day, it had been 2,999 days since the Y's program beat the U's.

And the U fans can't get enough of it. To make matters worse (or better...), the two university football teams will not play each other until the last weekend of the regular season, November 24, 2018. If Utah beats BYU again, that number will just keep rising, and rising, and rising.

When I saw the picture and read Dave's thought, I wondered. Can the positive thought apply to the picture? Are both players being their better selves? And if so, is one just plain better than the other?

Let's hope we're all our better selves, including those up on the hill next November.

2 comments:

  1. Good post and it makes you think. I've been praying lately and asking God to help me be my best self. Help others, encourage others and it's something i think we should seek to do every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole--yes, it's an honorable goal. Just do better each day. Take care. :)

      Delete