Saturday, February 3, 2018

Pre-Superbowl Shopping...Kind Of Crazy


I thought it would be crazy at the store, and truth be told, it wasn't that bad. But the football banners and balloons were in full view. It's Supberbowl Weekend, after all. And grocery stores and electronic stores are like Venus flytraps to consumers. 

It must work well--you'd think it was Christmas in the stores.

A few years ago I used to think the Superbowl was not a big deal. I mean, I know millions of people watch, but the whole country doesn't shut down because of it. I remember living in Europe during a world cup. In Denmark I can honestly say that when their national team played in a world cup, the country shut down. I wondered what that would be like in America. The closest thing we have to this is the Superbowl.


But the game means more than just people watching one team battle another. Earlier in the day I was at Walmart and saw several TVs on sale. I wonder, if we didn't have a big game, what would the sales figures be at stores like Walmart and grocery stores this weekend? Probably the same as the week before or the week after. And when you think of all the little things, the snacks, the drinks--we're talking big bucks. Add the big things, the TVs, the couches, you name it--we're talking bigger bucks.

I suppose, in some ways, trying to get as much money from people because of a sporting event is a little unsettling. But, on the other hand, the event's supposed to be fun, and picking up some extras can add to the enjoyment. I guess as long as you don't go too far, it's a good thing. 


Almost makes whoever wins a bit irrelevant.

Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment