Saturday, February 24, 2018

Spending A Saturday...With A Bunch Of Ballroom Dancers


For the second time in as many years, I found myself spending an entire Saturday with thousands of ballroom dancers and their friends and family.

If you've never had the opportunity, it's a good time!


In Utah, ballroom dancing appears to be a very healthy endeavor. Last year I attended my first-ever ballroom dancing competition. It was held about thirty miles north of this year's facility. Different place, same result--lots of people, lots of fans, lots of costumes, tons of dancing.


Since I don't travel very much, and I'm not as involved in other people's children as I am my own, I have no idea if other areas have as robust a ballroom dancing community as we do in Utah. I would imagine not, though anything is possible. It is amazing to look across a high school auditorium and see so many young kids all dancing. Of course, some are more talented, more dedicated than others, but the important thing is, they're doing it. They're getting on that floor and moving to the beat of the music. It's really uplifting to see kids getting over their fears, asserting themselves, doing something they don't have to do.


My daughter can be found in the masses of costumes an dance shoes. She's done well in the short time she's been involved in the program, and we're proud of what she's been able to accomplish. This is her last year she can compete at this level. She's made some good friends at Silhouette Ballroom Studios and she's surrounded by good people. As a parent, that's a win-win.

So, was it worth it spending my entire Saturday at this competition?

You bet it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment