Wednesday, February 14, 2018

For The First Time In 25 Years...I Got My Wife A Valentine's Day Card


For years I've poo-pooed the idea of Valentine's Day. I don't remember liking back it when I was single, and I kind of resented it after I got married--not because I'm against the message of celebrating love, but because the entire thing has been so commercialized.


But last night I decided to do something I've never done before--I picked up a Valentine's Day card. I really don't know why. After I decided to get a card, I had to find one that wasn't...well, you know...too corny or sappy or stupid.

I went nerd.


It wasn't the best, but it was cute. Like I said, I've been pretty down on the day. I can understand why so many hate this day. When I read posts from friends who want to spend it with someone they love and it doesn't happen. For them, the day becomes just another big reminder of what they don't have. I feel for them and wish they could get what their heart wants. 

I know my gesture is small--I picked up a rose at the store on my way home. This particular rose was surrounded by an ocean of other roses costing hundreds of dollars, and I saw several men carting out dozens of roses. I hope that their Valentine's Days are good ones and their loved ones feel appreciated. After all, a day dedicated to love shouldn't be a bad thing. Heck, if anything, the world needs more love in it. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment