Friday, February 23, 2018

Finished "Psych"...Why All The Death?


Since the beginning of 2018 my wife and I started watching a little show called Psych. Many of my nerd friends have watched and loved the show. The stars came to Salt Lake Comic con recently and many were excited at the prospect of having them attend. Tonight we finished the series finale and I can say that yes, we enjoyed the show very much.


But, as I watched the show, a question kept going through my mind...why all the murders? Every show, even the silly ones, had someone die, or multiple people die. These weren't graphically-portrayed deaths--mostly the investigators stood over a dead body and discussed what happened. I wonder if they could have done an episode where maybe someone defrauded the government on a contracts deal, but didn't end up killing someone. I'm sure such a case would be hard to figure out and would require all of Shawn and Gus's abilities to solve. But no--someone had to die in every episode of Psych.


It got me thinking about a lot of other shows that have been produced for mostly American audiences. People died in them, too. Hart to Hart, Murder She Wrote, Matlock, even Monk--dead people everywhere. Do other countries have so many shows where people are dropping like flies? I'm sure they have some, but almost all? That's a question I don't know, but would be interested to find out.


Psych went off the air in 2014. We don't watch a lot of regular TV shows (it's why we hadn't ever seen Psych...). I'm sure it was replaced by another show, and if it followed the same format, more people will die so we can watch brilliant, and often times, funny people solve the crimes and bring the baddies to justice. Just kind of weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment