Saturday, July 6, 2019

My First Garden In Like...Almost Forever


If you know me at all, you know I'm not a fan of yard work. I'm allergic to almost every plant out there. When I mow our lawn, I need to set aside at least a couple of hours afterward to try and cool down so I don't suffer too much. It's a struggle, but it's a necessary one.

One thing I haven't done in years, many many years, is plant a garden.


That changed last week. Last week we visited my friend's nursery business and we left with flowers, and vegetables plants. We ended up racing the sun to get them planted. The next couple of days, I would check my little plants to see how they were doing. A couple of the plants closest to the driveway needed more water than the rest.

I have to say, seeing those little plants alive after a week or so is exciting. Four of the six vegetable plants are tomato plants. The others are a squash and a pepper plant. Years ago we planted tomato plants and the results were mixed. We used to get bumper crops, but then each time we tried growing tomatoes, we couldn't get any to grow. The last time we tried, we planted cherry-type plants. I think the number of tomatoes we actually harvested could be counted on two hands.


I'm hoping this time is different. I can't recall if we used this particular area for tomatoes before. It's possible we did, but then again, the lack of yard work limits my memory. I do know if we are successful in raising actual fruit and vegetables, I'll be sure to include a post or two on this blog. And if we're unsuccessful, I'll probably write about that as well.

So, here's to all the backyard farmers out there. May your plants always be watered and may the snails ignore your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment