Friday, July 26, 2019

Sometimes...Many Times...I Wish I Were More Thoughtful


Last night we opened another show. I'm not the most "active" theatre performer. A few years ago I did five or six shows in a year. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I'm averaging about a show a year. Even at that, it takes several months out of your life.

I began doing shows back in 2000. There were several years I did no shows at all, so I've probably done about twenty since then. And everyone of them has had an opening night. And everyone of them has had a cast of performers who share that communal experience of opening night.

As we arrived a little before the official call time and prepared for the evening, that's when the thoughtful gifts began to arrive. A card, a trinket, a bag of candy (or two...), a thought, a button, and a couple of dozen cupcakes. Looking at my haul, or booty (in Pirate language...), I thought to myself...

I wish I were more thoughtful and considerate.


Some people seem to always be thinking of others. What an amazing talent that is! They think of what they can do to make opening night a little more special for everyone. They think and plan and execute those plans to put smiles on fellow cast mates's faces. They flat out think about others and turn those thoughts to actions.

Some shows go gift-less on opening night, the ones with smaller casts usually. It's not that I expect the little thoughts of kindness at every opening night. I'm usually so involved in hoping I remember my lines/blocking/notes that I don't think about getting little gifts. Maybe that's why I don't bring the gifts, either.

No. That's just an excuse. If I wanted to think of others on opening nights--or at other times--I could. It's like anything--the more you do it, the easier it becomes. So, maybe next year (if my current play production continues at its current pace...) when opening night rolls around, I might remember that doing something nice for others is something I actually can do, and maybe I might actually end up doing it. I guess time will tell. Thanks everyone who made last night so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment