Monday, July 22, 2019

The "Apollo 11: What We Saw" Podcast...Truly Amazing!


I wasn't old enough to remember the first moon landing, but I remember watching rocket launches on TV. I remember seeing men in the big bulky suits hopping around on the moon's surface, and remember the splashdowns where new heroes were returned to solid surfaces on earth. I remember seeing the command center in Houston--all those people working toward one goal. It was magical.

I remember also, when we moved to our new home in Farmington, Utah, in the last 1960s. I asked my dad if the tall towers of the petroleum refineries north of Salt Lake City were the site of the rocket launches. I remember my brother laughed at that--he being two years older and much wiser (apparently...) than me. What did I know? I was three or four at the time.

Needless to say, I've always known the story of men on the moon. Last week I discovered a podcast about the program, and its crown jewel, the flight of Apollo 11, and the moon landing that happened exactly fifty years ago last Saturday.

I love the stories. I love hearing about the men and women who worked to accomplish a goal set by a US president who never saw his dream fulfilled. The podcast, Apollo 11: What We Saw, which you can access by clicking: HERE, reminds me of those early memories, of a time when even the moon was no longer just an object to see from earth, but a destination.

Bill Whittle and Esoteric Radio Theatre have put together a narration of the beginning of the space program to men landing on the moon and what it required to see this happened. It's a wonderful way to learn history from one who, you can tell, loves the subject and knows his stuff when it comes to the subject matter.

We talk a lot about the way things used to me. Now, it seems almost impossible for our entire country--let along the entire world--to come together to accomplish something, anything. It's too bad, really. Because the decade of the Apollo program proves we're capable of doing so much more than we do. I wish we could all remember that. What a different world it would be.

If you like space, history, impossible challenges, give Apollo 11: What We Saw a chance. It's good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment