Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Beau Peterson's "Slayer Of The Sea"...A Book Review

Slayer of the Sea

There was a time when I listened to audiobooks, a lot of audiobooks, like averaging "a book or two a week" lot of audiobooks. It's been so long since I read/listened to anything, I can't remember the last book I read/listened to.

Until today.

Today I began and finished a book, and I remember why I used to go through so many books--it's because I love taking that story and making it a part of me, seeing the scenes in my mind, allowing the voice and words of strangers to become part of me, to fulfill me. What an honor it is to be part of the creative process.

The book I read was Beau Peterson's Slayer of the Sea, from Immortal Works.

What a fantastic little story!

I've never met Mr. Peterson so I don't know how he would pitch his book. If someone asked me, I'd stay it's a story reminiscent of Melville or Verne. A tale of man vs. monster on the high seas. You can order it by clicking: HERE. The books title comes from the name of the ship, Slayer of the Sea. Rowan Donchaad is obsessed with hunting, not whales or sharks, but leviathans, creatures so nasty--and so well described--you can almost smell their stench from the printed/audible words. Peterson puts you on the ship as well as in the minds of the characters. There's battles and blood, pride and humility, victory and defeat.

I am not a water person. Sure, I spent every single summer day at an enormous swimming pool in my hometown, but I also live in the second driest state (not talking about alcohol here, but I could be...) in the country. I watch shows and read books about men, women, and children who live on the sea or make their living on the water. It's a world I don't understand. Peterson put me in that world, showed me a glimpse of the adventure that is the sea. Any book that can do that is a successful one.

The audiobook is a mere three hours and forty minutes. It is narrated wonderfully by Montgomery Que. Pick up the book, or download the audiobook if you'd like an action-filled story of a world full of imagination. 

Yes, today I returned to a life of reading. Why did I stay away so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment