Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Dan Welch's "Death And Seven"...A Book Review

Death and Seven by [Welch, Dan]

When I first heard what Death and Seven was all about, it was one of those pitches that makes the gears in my mind turn. Imagine, being able to ask questions of a corpse.

And have that corpse answer back.

That was the pitch. I finished the book today. 

Dan Welch has created a situation in which technology has advanced to the point where a body, if properly prepared immediately after it dies, can be manipulated to divulge information to an interested party. When I heard that, I thought about all the times, in books, films, even music, where finding out what a dead person knows would answer a lot of questions, solve many mysteries, even right many wrongs. But, that kind of power can also create problems of its own. 

Amanda Wilson works in the facility where memories are harvested like data in an old computer. We follow the sad tale of Sarah Russell, former worker on wall street, now deceased witness. Sarah's information proves valuable to law enforcement in bringing down the bad guys. The problem is, both sides are fighting to win.

Death and Seven filled my head with a lot of "what-ifs." What if it were possible? What if our memories and secrets could be gathered after we're gone, when filters and safeguards normally in place are no longer there? What would we find out, and would we be better off not knowing?

I love books that make my mind wander like this. Welch's Death and Seven did just that. It's a quick read. It took me a couple of days to listen to the entire audiobook, but I could have easily done it in one day. If you think this sounds like an interesting idea for a novel, give it a shot. You can order the book: HERE. Death and Seven...in this book, death isn't the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment