Monday, July 29, 2019

Beautiful Little Car...But Would I Really Like It?


Why do we always remember just the good times?

Why, when we think back on past experiences, do we recall the positives? Sure, we remember bad things, but in general--at least it seems that way for me--I think about the fun I had when participating in a certain activity or function.

Case in point, a week ago Sunday, as we drove down I-15 to attend church at another meetinghouse, I spotted the red VW Beetle convertible in my rearview mirror. Whenever I see an old bug, the memories come flooding back. I can't believe I don't have more pictures of my first car, a green 1965 Volkswagen beetle, converted to 12-volt and with high-back driver and passenger seats. It did have the original 1200 cc (roughly 36 horsepower...) engine.

I loved that car.

On Sunday the amazing mid-1960s bug passed us. Truth-be-told, I allowed it to pass so I could get a better look at it and it was more beautiful than I thought it would be. A true work of art. And as it passed, I wondered what it would be like to own a mid-1960s VS beetle convertible.

I thought it would be the greatest thing.

Then, I began to remember.

I remembered my green bug. I remembered it not being able to go over 55 m.p.h. I remember it stranding me on the side of the road almost as many times as it didn't strand me on the side of the road. I remember it being literally freezing inside whenever I drove it in the winter, and almost unsurvivable in the summer with no a/c. It was an automobile in the academic sense...it had four wheels, and I had to legally license it to drive it on the road. I had a love/hate relationship with that car. Back then, you could buy a functioning VW bug for around $500. Now, that same car, in much worse condition, costs $2k and up.

As much as I loved seeing that red convertible, if the driver were to pull over and give me the keys to the beautiful car, would I like it? I'd have to deal with freezing winters, no a/c in the summer, and I'd have to park it in a garage. We only have a one-car garage and that's where our van lives.

Owning such a car requires sacrifice. So, would I really like having it if I had the option?

You bet I would!

In a heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment