Monday, December 7, 2020

Ordering Off The Senior Menu...


 This year, my birthday just happened to fall on my day off, so when we got up and I had the entire day ahead of me, we thought it would be fun to go for breakfast. About a mile to the south of us is a Denny's. It's located where Interstate 15 and 84 diverge in Tremonton, Utah.

A Denny's breakfast sounded good.

We sat down--there weren't many in the place--and we were handed our menus. A place like Denny's has endless meal combinations, especially for breakfast. I didn't even open it up. I turned it over and looked at the back. That's when I knew I didn't have to open up the menu...

I was ordering off the Senior Menu!

Once I saw 55+ Diner, I just had to get something listed below. It was a rite of passage, a testament that I had lived long enough to be part of the "Denny's 55+ Diner" Club. I had earned that right and so, when the waitress asked what I wanted, I pointed to the 55+ Omelette, and that was that.

For AARP, 50 years old is the age of inclusion. I believe there's other places where one needs to be 55 for all the extra bonus goodies. To be honest, I haven't paid too much attention to where the places are--I only knew the AARP age because of their annoying and somewhat disheartening junk mail deliveries. A friend pointed out that someone my age can get discount movie tickets. Even without a pandemic, I hardly ever saw a movie in the theater. I wonder if I will go to movies in the future, that is, if the theaters ever re-open.

To be honest, it was fun ordering off the menu. I know it's a simple and kind of stupid thing, but hey--I had just turned fifty-five and that meant I was eligible.

The waitress wrote down my order, then turned to my wife and asked her what she wanted. I don't know what I was expecting--certainly not for her to check my I.D., but maybe something. No, she didn't do anything, just continued doing her job to get our orders so we could get breakfast.

As she left, I wondered...I probably could have ordered off the 55+ Diner menu for years and they wouldn't even care.

The omelette was good. We haven't been back.

No comments:

Post a Comment