Sunday, December 6, 2020

Give Thanks...Friends

 

Out of the blue a friend sent an e-mail to a gang of friends. I was fortunate to be included in the recipients. The message was wonderful, but then something better happened...each of us in turn responded and we added to the thread. I now have a digital copy of some incredible thoughts and emotions and most of all, memories.

Last month we were challenged to post things for which we were grateful and to use the hashtag: #GiveThanks when doing it. For a week, everything I posted included the hashtag. After a week of not posting #GiveThanks posts, I kind of missed doing it, so I'm going to include a #GiveThanks post at least once a week (unless I forget and post something else...). Today I wanted to give thanks for my friends.

To say I have had great friends in my life is an understatement. They have literally saved my life, at least, had they not been there, I wouldn't be where I am today. First, Jim sent the initial e-mail. He had been going over a journal he kept in high school and he felt moved (or inspired...) to reach out to that group of guys who made such a difference in his life. I felt I needed to respond and so I did. I explained how I mooched my way into that group and what a difference it made for me during a tough time.

A few days later, another e-mail came, then another. I think everyone has chimed in--I don't know if they did so because they felt obligated, or just wanted to let us all know how they felt, most likely the latter. They too shared experiences and memories and gave thanks for us friends.

I'm so glad Jim reached out. I think each of us wished we could get together to hang out, and if I had my way, it would be in my old house listening to Rush LPs on our Realistic HiFi, pumped through the ancient speakers my dad built.

But, the house has new owners, the HiFi is long gone, but I still have those incredible speakers. The biggest problem in us getting together is where we live. Several still reside along the Wasatch Front. I moved an hour away. One lives on the west cost and one in the middle of the country. Even without covid, it would be tough to get together. We did the next best thing--wrote messages to each other via e-mails.

When you go through a collective experience like school or the military or a mission, you bond with those people. It's one of the things I most like about being a human. Others may have empathy, but they'll never truly understand because they weren't there with the people that shared life during those times.

Tonight--and hopefully, every day for the rest of my life--I give thanks for my friends, past and present, here and no longer with us. Part of who I am is due to their influence...I hope they can live with that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment