Friday, December 18, 2020

Have I Told You Lately How Much I Love This Car...?


 Because my daughter decided she wanted to go away for college (and because it was time...), our family needed to pick up another vehicle. She got my beloved Pontiac Vibe, and that meant, I needed to find something else.

We found a Subaru.

Our family had a somewhat checkered past with Subarus. My mom bought one in the mid-70s. We traded in my dad's Buick 225 for it--kind of like going from a mansion to a rambler. We had the car for a few years, then she turned it in for, I think, a Pontiac...maybe a Chevy.

About ten years later, she got another Subaru. This one was cool, but either the head gasket or the transmission went out--either way, she got rid of it. My brother bought a Crosstrek a few years back and he loves it. When it came time for me to find a car, I set my sights on a Forester. We found one last January and I bought it.

I do like that it's a manual. But the best part is that it's an all-wheel drive. We had a storm blow through yesterday and it dumped several inches of snow. Our minivan does not do well in snow, but the Subaru, a care we lovingly named "Donk," flies in it. The almost new tires helps in its ability to chew up the road. 

Donk is the first all-wheel drive vehicle I've ever owned. Back when I drove VW beetles, they were excellent in the snow, but since then, it's been front-wheel drive cars. We needed to go to the hardware store last night so we took Donk. It was like driving on a clear drive road...well, almost. Point is, it was a blast and a blessing to drive.

I know it's like I'm learning something everyone else has known for a long time, but it's still cool when it happens. Better last than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment