Monday, December 28, 2020

What Am I Going To Do With All These Clothes...And Shoes?


 A few years ago my work decided to send me home and I became a telecommuter. I was. ahead of the curve. I distinctly remember thinking, "I'm never going to need to buy another pair of dress shoes in my life."

A few years before they sent me home I discovered Dr. Martens Shoes. And I discovered they last a really long time--thick soles. I had purchased a new pair of Dr. Martens a few months earlier (because my old pair finally bit the dust...) and because I was working from home and didn't need to wear those shoes, I thought that I would most likely never wear out my new pair.

That was then. Looks like there's more things I will most likely not wear out than shoes.

We moved my daughter out of one bedroom and into another last week. This means I was able to utilize the bedroom's closet space. I think I am by nature a hoarder. Must be something I picked up from my parents who both grew up in the Great Depression. It something has value--whether or not you particularly need it--you keep it. I moved a bunch of my clothes I no longer wear into the closest, which includes a lot of shoes. I filled it up, actually. 

After I finished, I snapped a picture. It was strange looking at clothes that have miles of wear in them, but I just don't need them, at least, not like I once did. There may be one day in the future when I'll need to wear suits every day, or even business casual on Fridays. Maybe...

I can't be the only one who is experiencing this. For many, I'm sure they expect to put on the suit and tie, shine the black leather shoes, and return to the office. I hope they do, if that's what they want. As for me in my house, I'll be happy with a closet full of not the best, but well-maintained clothing while I happily work from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment