Thursday, July 22, 2021

It's Like I Don't Even Know Them...


 A community that has a strong sense of community proves this allegiance in several ways...one of which is creating social media sites where residence of said community can gather and interact. Case in point, there are several Facebook sites dedicated to Farmington, Utah.

I can think of no finer town to honor in this way.

In fact, I am still part of a couple of these sites. There's one that has "historical" in the name of the group. That's sort of more for those who live in the original town center, at least, that's the impression I got when I joined. We were considered in that part of town. There's also one that encompasses the church congregation where we lived. These community sites serve an important function--they inform, they educate, they bring an already close community closer together.

I saw a new one the other day, one I'd never seen before. It's a closed group and even though I no longer live within the town boundaries, I asked to join. They granted my wish. The posts started coming in and I realized right away this is an active group. On an average day several people post.

I found out something else, too, after seeing all the posts.

I don't know anyone in the group, at least, I don't know anyone who is posting things.

Even though I lived in this small-turned-bigger town for half a century, I knew there were so many people I don't know, so many I've never met, but joining the group drove that point home.

I'm still glad I'm a member. Even though I don't know many of the people (or, it just seems that way...), I like keeping in touch with the town...that connection is still there. Plus, it reminds me that I'm no longer a resident, but I still care for those who are.

No comments:

Post a Comment