Monday, July 26, 2021

Man...How I Love This Film


 Part of my workday routine is to take a few minutes and step away from the computer, the monitors, and the phone. I leave my home office behind and venture into the garage...where our home gym is located. Lately, even though I work out somewhat early in the day, it still gets warm in our non-temperature- regulated space. There's one thing, however, that I really enjoy while I bike, walk, ellipse, that takes my mind away from the temperature...

And that's dropping in a DVD and watching a few minutes of a movie or TV series.

The latest feature that helped get me though the heated sessions...the Coen Brother's True Grit. I love that film.

For the most part, I enjoy almost all the Coen Brother's films. I can see why they're not everyone's cup of tea. I know there's a lot of elements that make up a film--even a bad film. What sets these particular brothers's film apart--for me--is the writing. I absolutely love their writing.

In True Grit their style of writing fits perfectly with the genre. I think the panoramic views in the original True Grit are better. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember those incredible Southern Utah vista...it's hard to beat, really. The views from the re-make seem more real, more barren, more desolate. It's fitting for the story.

As I watched the last part of the film and before the credits rolled, I was still amazed at the simple language choices. Since I did not live in the western United States at the turn of the twentieth century, I cannot say for certain that the manner in which they spoke in the movie is an accurate reflection of the language and speaking style of the time. But, even if not, it sure sounds good. Watching the film again, I was reminded at how much I enjoyed the words, the sentences, the verbal sparing, the way all these elements helped to make this a great film.

No comments:

Post a Comment