Saturday, August 6, 2022

Real Life...Bonafide...Newspaper Comics


 Yes...it's true.

The Harold Journal newspaper from Cache Valley includes comics in their editions. And not just one page of comics, no sir-ee. They've got two pages of comics.

The way things used to be.

We stopped subscribing to a newspaper years ago. We got the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News for decades. Then...nothing. I don't know what caused us to cancel. There was probably a rate increase and we felt it wasn't worth it. Plus, we had towers of papers stacked up in various places around the house until finally we dumped them all in the recycle bin.

It's just the way it was.

When we moved north, we thought a good way to get to know the community was to subscribe to the town's newspaper. The be honest, it's not much of a newspaper in the technical sense. It's printed once a week and sometimes it's only eight pages long. A couple of pages for the main stories, two pages dedicated to sports, a commentary page, an obituary page, a page for ads, and a TV schedule page. I'm not knocking the paper--I think it's a minor miracle it's even published at all. I applaud those behind it. There's just not much there.

Last month we were stopped by a man signing up people for either the Ogden Standard Examiner (we used to subscribe to it, too...), and the Logan Harold Journal. We thought we'd give the journal a try. We got the first editions this week. They have comics.

I used to read the comics religiously. Sometimes it was the only part of the paper I would read. It's been so long since we've subscribed to a paper with comics, I wasn't sure it was still a ting. The Harold Journal has them. There are comics I know and remember and some I've never heard of. I think it'll be fun getting to know those characters all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment