Tuesday, August 2, 2022

What I Didn't Realize...Is This Thing Will Get Humans Back To The Moon


 I went because I wanted to see something cool. I didn't realize until I got there and began talking to other spectators, is that I was looking at history, aviation history, space travel history.

This thing will get humans back to the moon.

I had no idea.

I know they've tested rocket boosters in the hills in Box Elder County, Utah for decades. I've always wanted to see a demonstration. I got to know one of the engineers who works on those rockets and I asked him if the test firings were open to the public. He said they were--the first opportunity to go, I went.

Among the thousands of fellow curious onlookers were several who I would describe as geeks, super-intelligent scientists who were more excited to see the event than I was. I set up my camera next to a several other tripods and struck up a conversation with one of those scientists. I didn't get his name, but I found out he works for Northrup Grumman, the builders of the rockets.

In the hour-plus we waited for the firing, he and I talked. He knew all about the rocket and not only that, he knew what the rocket would be used for. Had I cared to do even a little research I could have found out, too, but it was wonderful to hear someone with the passion of a scientist tell me the importance of the booster. 

Within a few years, these boosters will help send humans back to the moon, but not just to land, walk/drive around for a while (hit a golf ball, maybe...), then leave. No, they'll be building a station on the moon. The scientist not only knew those details, he knew all the launch dates of the missions scheduled for the next couple of years. Fascinating.

Like I said, I could have done a little research and found out the same thing. I'm glad I didn't. I'm glad I waited and heard it from someone who works in the field, who couldn't wait to be in Florida when the rocket actually launches and not just scorches the side of a Northern Utah mountain. His passion was infectious. It got me excited, too.

Yes, I went for one reason with a certain amount of knowledge. I came home with more than I had expected. Amazing times ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment