Saturday, August 13, 2022

So...You've Got Yourself An Orb Weaver


 It must have been there a long time. By the time I saw it, the web was huge. Not just the web...

The orb weaver was, too.

Full disclosure...I am not a fan of the eight-legged living organisms that are out there. However, I do understand how important spiders are to all life on this planet. Without spiders, humans would have a much harder time surviving. I am very please this thing is living outside and not under the same roof as me and my family.

I did not know the type of spider this was so I posted a picture on social media with a simple question: Does anyone know what kind of spider this is?

I received the obligatory funny responses, which I do appreciate. My social media friends did come through for me. They identified the spider as an Orb Weaver. With a little more research I discovered these things make amazing webs. When the light allowed, I could see the web and it was incredible. I also discovered non-aggressive and not dangerous to humans. These are two traits I like in a spider.

The spider is not in our house but is currently living in the window well outside my son's room. My son seems okay with having this creature only a few feet from him when he sleeps. That might make me a tad leery. 

I should say, even though spiders are not my favorite, this thing is stunning. It's beautiful. And, I know how important it is not only in the ecosystem, but it's eating a ton of bugs, bugs that try and bug us. Thanks everyone for helping me get to know this little critter better.



No comments:

Post a Comment