Friday, August 19, 2022

Rooting For The Home Team...Even Though It's Not MY Home


When news broke that my hometown was getting a high school, I thought I might become a supporter of the future school.

Turns out, I really didn't.

Oh, I like the idea of supporting the school, and especially, the school's sports programs. Back in the previous century, I attended many games and even ran track as a student at Dear Ol' Davis High School. And, over the years, I covered high school sports as a reporter for the now defunct Davis County Clipper. Unfortunately, the paper no longer sails.

The school was built and students arrived. They joined clubs and choirs and bands and teams. Tonight, KSL broadcast the Bountiful (formally, the Braves...) Redhawks as they took on the Farmington Phoenix (which is also plural...). I watched the game. Farmington dominated. I have no alliance to the school other than it's my hometown, but it was still nice to see them win.

The biggest reason I never attended a game or became a supporter is because my children--who would have attended the school---were homeschooled. They were never Phoenix, so in a way, Farmington High is the same as Bountiful High or Woods Cross or Viewmont, or Layton, Clearfield, Northridge, Syracuse, and the rest.

I think I'll always root for Davis. Turns out, I like watching Farmington win, too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment