Saturday, February 19, 2011

Camping With The Scouts II, The Sequel...

For the second Saturday morning in as many weeks, I awoke in the Kennard's family cabin in the neighborhood of Smith Moorhouse, a few miles east of Kamas. And, just as last weekend, camping with the scouts proved to be another great time.

I can't believe how brave my 15-year old son is. He actually climbed in a frozen cave at 11:30pm last night and somehow stayed there for several hours, until a wet sleeping bad (a bag, that was not waterproof...bad parent! Bad parent!) and a continuous dripping of water melting from above forced him inside the cabin where his younger brother and his father slept like kings in a room toast-ily heated to a balmy 65ยบ where no water dripped from above and (hopefully...) all who slept inside the cabin has dry sleeping bags.
It snowed during the night and the light flakes welcomed a tired troop to a new day. Driving the snowmobiles was a blast, except the cold and snow caused my eyes to water and the tears made it hard to see--fun, though, nonetheless...
We left early so some of the leaders could get to work and to their inevitable "honey-do" lists. The early arrival surprised my wife who had just put into the Blu-Ray player the 1995 A&E classic, Pride & Prejudice, starting the dapper but disturbed Colin Firth and that actress who plays Duck Face in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Wow! With recall like that I should totally excel at the Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon game...
Home, it's just the best place to be. And, like last Saturday night, I'm glad I'm sleeping in my own bed. I'm pretty sure the scouts won't be visiting the Kennard's family cabin next week, but, of course, next week hasn't happened yet. I guess we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment