Friday, February 4, 2011

So What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?


There was a time when I was younger I wanted to be a professional photographer. I'll bet many if not most bloggers have at one time thought the same thing...

I was in high school when my mom bought me my first serious camera, an Olympus OM-10. It wasn't as serious a camera as the OM-1, or the--dare I say/write--sexy black-mated OM-2, but I loved my little OM-10, and it was a pretty good little camera.

In those days, digital photography had yet to be invented, or at least, affordable to the average person. So being a photographer back then meant that when a picture was taken, it needed to be good (unless, of course, your pictures could pay for the rolls of films and development of said/written film rolls). Taking picture after picture costs money--a lot of money. It's almost impossible to imagine not being able take literally thousands of pictures costing only pennies in electricity. I'll take that over flying cars the future promised we'd have any day.

So today, anyone with a camera (or a cell phone...) can be a photographer. A few years ago braving fierce and dangerous crowds at a Target store on Black Friday, I found a nice 10.3 megapixel camera at a great price and we bought it. I carry it with me wherever I go. I should take more pictures. Shouldn't we all?

If I had the means, and perhaps one day I will, I would love to buy a nice SLR digital camera and at least look like I'm a professional photographer and I would roam the neighborhood in search of that perfect picture. But, for now, I'm very much contented with taking innocent shots of two of my boys at our local town library. To me, it doesn't matter if the camera that took the picture cost $100, or $1000, the subjects are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment