Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mordor

Sunsets from my back porch can be breathtaking. Sometimes, we're fortunate not only catch a brilliant sunset, but record it in digital pictures.

I grew up across the street from where I now live (I'll have to dig up one of those past pictures in my digital shoebox and show you my childhood home...). My father built the house--a home he never finished--and the structure was ahead of it's time. It was ahead of it's time in many respects, but one aspect of the house greatly affected the way we lived. My dad designed the house with huge west-facing windows. And since the house was built in the early 1970's, the windows did a poor job in keeping out the heat in the summers and cold in the winters. So when we had the opportunity to design the house in which we now live, we put hardly any windows facing west.







Tonight while looking out our smallish kitchen window, the bright reds and yellows caught my attention and I thought, "Mordor!" I quickly grabbed the small Kodak and snapped a few shots.



For those of us blessed enough to live on the other side of the highest peak on Antelope Island that is surrounded by an inland sea of salt, on most nights we're given a celestial show as God tells his children goodnight and tucks them in with a blanket of beautiful colors. I love seeing the sunsets from my back porch.



No comments:

Post a Comment