Thursday, July 26, 2012

Countertop S'Mores...

27 years ago I lived in Europe and when I lived in Europe, I used to make s'mores inside my apartment. This was no easy feat. The problem back then was not roasting a marshmallow over a candle, but finding marshmallows in the first place. They were hard to come by and when we finally found some, they had a weird flavor. Finding the gram cracker and chocolate was no problem at all--we found a cracker with chocolate on the bottom.

Which brings us to what we did to celebrate the 24th of July. It's a state holiday where I live and we decided to make s'mores. Once again, the marshmallows proved to be the hardest part. My children have food allergies so my oldest son decided to make homemade marshmallows. He did a wonderful job.

We had the ingredients, now all we needed was a flame. We live on a mountain, close to dry vegetation and we were not allowed to light fireworks where we live (a tradition on our state holiday...) so we reasoned it's probably not a good idea to have a fire outside over which we would roast our homemade marshmallows. I remembered my Europe days and we decided to roast the marshmallows over candles.

All in all, the countertop s'more experiment turned out to be a great success! I was worried a flaming marshmallow might engage the smoke alarm--at best, and/or burn down the house--at worst. We had neither. Will we do the same thing next 24th of July? We just might...

No comments:

Post a Comment